Study and Living in Australia


Oval Shape

As a student in Australia, you will be living in some of the most exciting and diverse cities in the world. There is always something to see and do. From world-class museums and galleries to a vibrant nightlife scene, Australia has it all.

At AIA, we believe that a good student life is an integral part of the overall student experience. We encourage our students to immerse themselves in the local culture and explore everything that this amazing country has to offer.

Get Involved in Student Clubs and Societies

Australia is home to a thriving student community, and there are countless student clubs and societies to join. From sports teams to academic societies, these groups are an excellent way to make friends, develop new skills, and get involved in campus life.

Explore the City

Australia is a country of neighbourhoods, each state and city with its own unique character and charm. Take some time to explore the city’s different areas, from trendy cafes to beautiful beaches and boutique shops.

Enjoy the Arts

Australia is renowned for its vibrant arts scene, with countless galleries, museums and theatres throughout the city. There is something for everyone, from the iconic Sydney Opera House and National Gallery of Victoria to the contemporary installations at the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra.

Experience the Nightlife

Australia is famous for its nightlife, with countless bars, clubs and live music venues to explore. Whether you’re looking for a quiet drink with friends or a night out on the town, you’ll find plenty of options to suit your mood.

Get Active

Australia is a country that loves its sports and there are countless opportunities to get active. Join a local sports team, go for a run in one of the city’s many parks or hit the beach for some sun, sand and surf.

Here are just a few things to keep in mind as you embark on your student life in Australia


AIA is committed to helping our students make the most of their student life in Australia. We encourage our students to explore the city, get involved in campus life and make the most of their time in this amazing country.


Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

As an international student studying in Australia, it is a requirement that you have OSHC for the entire duration of your stay. OSHC is a type of health insurance that provides you with access to medical and hospital services in Australia.

AIA understands that navigating the OSHC system can be confusing, which is why we have put together this guide to help you understand what OSHC is and what it covers.

Column Image
Oval Shape

What is OSHC?
OSHC is a type of health insurance that is designed specifically for international students studying in Australia. It is a requirement of your student visa that you maintain OSHC for the entire duration of your stay in Australia. OSHC covers the cost of medical and hospital services that you may need while studying in Australia, including doctor’s visits, hospital stays and prescription medications.

What does OSHC cover?
OSHC covers a range of medical and hospital services, including:

  • Doctor’s visits
  • Specialist appointments
  • Hospital treatment and accommodation
  • Emergency ambulance services
  • Prescription medication
  • Mental health services
  • Optical services

It is important to note that OSHC does not cover certain medical services, such as cosmetic surgery, dental treatment or more. Additionally, there may be waiting periods before certain services are covered, so it is important to check with your OSHC provider for specific details.

How do I purchase OSHC?
There are a number of OSHC providers in Australia, including Allianz, Bupa, Medibank, NIB and many more. You can purchase OSHC directly from these providers or AIA can also help you to get one and you could also get it through a registered education agent.

When purchasing OSHC, it is important to compare policies and prices to ensure that you are getting the coverage you need at a price you can afford. Some OSHC providers also offer additional services, such as language support and 24-hour emergency assistance.

At AIA, we recommend that you purchase OSHC as soon as possible and this will ensure that you are covered from the start of your studies in Australia.


As an international student studying in Australia, you may have questions about your work rights and obtaining a Tax File Number (TFN).

Here’s what you need to know:

Work Rights: As an international student on a student visa, you are generally permitted to work up to 48 hours per fortnight (two weeks) during the academic year and full-time during the holidays. However, it is important to check the conditions of your specific visa as some visas may have different work rights.

You can find information on your work rights on the Department of Home Affairs website. It is also important to note that you must have a valid visa and an Australian bank account to be employed in Australia.

Column Image
Oval Shape

Tax File Number (TFN): TFN is a unique number issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) that is used to track your taxation obligations. You will need a TFN if you plan to work in Australia, as your employer will use it to withhold tax from your income.

To apply for a TFN, you can either apply online through the ATO website or submit a paper application. To be eligible for a TFN, you must have a valid visa that allows you to work in Australia.

It is important to note that your TFN is a confidential number and you should only provide it to your employer, financial institution or other authorised entities.

AIA encourage all of our international students to familiarise themselves with their work rights and taxation obligations in Australia. If you have any questions or concerns about your work rights or obtaining a TFN, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Australian Taxation Office (ATO):
Read More

Superannuation Payment:
Read More

Fair Work Ombudsman:
Read More

This will close in 0 seconds